Monday, May 01, 2023

87. Queen Bee


Queen Bee. Amalie Howard. 2023. 368 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Wincing at the ache in my ribs--I could have sworn I'd heard one of them creak--I sucked in a shallow breath, my fingers white-knuckling the chair as Sally, my lady's maid and friend, pulled the laces of my stays. Traditional long stays weren't ever truly laced tight, just enough to underscore the lines of the gown, but I could barely breathe as the stiffly woven twill fabric pinched my upper torso. The pressure in my chest was most likely due to nerves. I was about to take down the reigning queen and king of this year's social season, which meant the evening had to be perfect...everything had to be perfect. First impressions were a valuable tool, and a person usually had only one chance at them.

Premise/plot: This one is subtitled an Anti-Historical Regency Romp. Emphasis on Anti-Historical. Some may cheer at this rebellion while others may cringe. The first sentence, likewise, may cause some to cringe. (There are so many (period drama, historical) YouTubers who talk about how cringe it is to hear inaccuracies about corsets and how they were worn. They point out how tight-lacing was rarely done--especially in the Regency period with Regency fashions being what they were.) 

Getting back on track, Miss Lyra Whitley (aka Lady Ela Dalvi) is the protagonist of Queen Bee. She's OUT for revenge. Poppy Landers orchestrated her so-called "ruin" and forced her father's hand in sending her to a seminary/reform school to purify her. Her love interest at the time, Lord Keston Osborn (Marquess of Ridley) stood by and believed the scandalous gossip. It's been a couple of years--three years?--and now SHE WANTS THEM BOTH TO PAY. (Not literally. It isn't a financial downfall she's after. But public/social humiliation.) 

The chapters alternate (for most of the novel) between past and present. 

The other thing of note: This one features many POC characters.

My thoughts: I have strong feelings on anti-historical novels. So I'll try to be clear in my review:

Pros: Frothy, predictable, unoriginal
Cons: Frothy, predictable, unoriginal

My point is that what makes one reader LOVE a book is often what makes another reader HATE a book.

I personally thought that the characterization was weak overall. The characters are one dimensional; they tend to have one trait and one trait only. Such as Miss Poppy Landers (the villain) being 100% evil through and through--just insanely mean 24/7 from the moment she was born.  Keston Osborn, the love interest, is 100% stupid. He may be easy on the eyes (and Lyra/Ela talks incessantly about how seeing his body makes her body react/respond. She's 100% lusty, lusty, lusty. I just need more than one trait per person. Sorry.

I thought the story was predictable, formulaic. This can be an amazing, great, awesome thing. If you happen to like the story. It can be incredibly satisfying. 

Let's get back to the anti-historical nature of this one. I think this is where it will be polarizing. Readers will either welcome with open hearts and minds the ANTI-HISTORICAL-ness of it all. Or they will hate it.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady) said...

Hm... the opening was pretty weak, and with everything else, I'll take a pass on this one. Great review, though!