Wednesday, May 10, 2023

97. Star Splitter


Star Splitter. Matthew J. Kirby. 2023. [April] 320 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I don't care how many prep classes you take, or how many counseling sessions you go through, or how many waivers you sign, none of it actually prepares you to be burned apart by a laser, atom by atom. But Jessica Mathers was one of the most prepared travelers I ever had the privilege to meet. Not eager, but prepared. I've seen pretty much the full spectrum of human reaction to teleportation and talked countless travelers through their emotional and psychological barriers. I have a pretty spectacular record, too, with a voluntary abort rate of 8.2 percent; my department average usually hovers near fifteen. Some people just can't be talked into the machine come departure time.

Premise/plot: This young adult science fiction novel opens and closes in Earth's orbit on the OS Liverpool. Jim Kelly is a liason for ISTA. He is NOT a main character per se, just part of the framework. Jessica Mathers is--right or wrong--full of angst. Her scientist/explorer parents left her on earth six years ago while they went off adventuring. Now she's to join them on some planet (Carver 1061c)--for a year--to "help" them. She is NOT happy with the idea. She has a love-hate relationship with her parents. They will both be "printed" (have their bodies printed) on a ship, DS Theseus. But Jessica wakes up ALONE on a ship that is not in orbit at all, but crashed on the planet below (she's nicknamed it Hades). There are graves outside the lander. She hasn't a clue WHY she's alone and things did not go off according to plan, but someone....a familiar-yet-not-familiar someone...has the answers to all of her questions. If the person is willing to share...

My thoughts: This one alternates between "before" and "after." Both "before" and "after" sections have a vague, suspenseful, creepy Twilight-Zone feeling to them. Readers may be being given clues to piece together, but it isn't one puzzle--but two. 

I kept reading because of the suspense and creepiness. Definitely Twilight Zone vibes. But in true Twilight Zone fashion, there weren't really any answers to any of the questions--not really. Especially as to the WHY. Some of the more matter of fact questions are answered. But not any that would help anyone--characters or reader--make sense of this world. 

I honestly don't know how I feel about this one. I kept reading it. I had to know how it all fit together. But I'm not sure it was ultimately satisfying. And I'm not sure that I want it to be ultimately satisfying. Maybe I'm okay with not having answers. But definitely ambiguous in nature.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: