Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Captain Nobody (MG)


Pitchford, Dean. 2009. Captain Nobody. Penguin. 195 pages.

Uh-oh. This is not good.
I'm falling.
I'm not going to scream and yell about it, cuz I'm not the kind of kid who makes a lot of noise, but I'd like you to understand how critical my situation is. I--who am normally so terrified of heights that I avoid standing on tiptoe--I...
....am....
....FALLING!
A very, very long way.
How'd this happen?


I really enjoyed this one. It was a great little book. (And I'd definitely recommend it!) Our hero is Newt Newman. Yes, his parents actually named him Newton. And, for the most part, he's invisible. His older football-playing brother, Chris, is used to attention, used to the spotlight. But Newt, well, Newt is used to being a part of the background. Until. One Halloween he dresses up (quite accidentally) and becomes Captain Nobody. He likes the feeling so much--there are circumstances as to just why--that he decides to keep wearing his superhero costume. (The costume is actually some of his older brother's clothes. C.N. are his brother's initials, but he turns them into a new name for himself, Captain Nobody.) Anyway, the book is all about his (accidental) adventures. How he becomes a hero, becomes a somebody. This one just works well. It's quirky and charming and sweet and memorable.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP