Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Last Invisible Boy (MG)


Kuhlman, Evan. 2008. The Last Invisible Boy. Simon & Schuster. 234 pages.

My name is Finn Garrett and this is my book and this is my story.
It is a story about losing something.
No, it's a story about sudden change.
Or it's the official autobiography of the Last Invisible Boy. Me.


Finn has lost his father. Finn and his family are, as to be expected, a bit in shock at his sudden death. Nothing has felt right since this horrible, terrible day. He reveals the details surrounding this tragedy very slowly--definitely at his own pace. Almost as if by avoiding writing this part of the story down he can make it less true.

Finn's story is told directly through words and art. There are some happy--some funny--moments, but expect a lot of sadness, a lot of grief, it's a very achy type of book. Almost painful to read. Yet for some readers this might be appealing. I did like Finn. I feel horrible saying it was almost too sad for me.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Timothy Ogene said...

Dear Becky!

You are doing a great job here. I'm excited to be here.

I returned to my country a few wks ago from Germany where i completed a fellowship programme with the Dekeyser & Friends Foundation.On arrival, i met a friend who's working on a library project to encourage reading.The culture of reading is almost dead here.I decided to support her by volunteering to research for her project's new magazine "Reading Bridges" that will be released in a few weeks.

I was wondering if you would like to share with us on the magazine project.I'd be happy to give your blog reviews a whole page in the magazine plus other contents you'd want to share.I will add your blog link and bio on the page.

If this is what you'd want to do, please do not hesitate to reach me.
e-mail: timothyogene@gmail.com
See:www.libraryport.com it's still being worked on.

Thanks a lot Becky.
Timothy Ogene
www.ogene.wordpress.com