Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gideon The Catpurse (The Time Travelers) (MG)

Gideon The Catpurse. Linda Buckley-Archer. 2006. Simon & Schuster. 405 pages.

It was early morning on Saturday, the sixteenth of December, the first day of the Christmas holidays. 

I wanted to really love this one. I think I wanted to love it so much because the premise sounded so great. But, for me, it wasn't quite love. I definitely liked it. I am definitely glad I discovered this series. And I definitely want to continue on to see what happens next. But it's not love, not yet.

Our hero (Peter) and heroine (Kate)--two people who are practically strangers until IT happens--are forced to adapt--and adapt quickly--when the two are mysteriously thrown back in time, back to the eighteenth century.

They know their only hope of getting back to the twenty-first century, back to their own time, is if they work together to recover an antigravity machine or device. But this device has fallen into the hands of a villain, a man nicknamed Tar Man. But all hope is not lost, for they become very good friends with a man named Gideon. A man with a past, it's true, but his past may be the key they need to return to the future. For Gideon knows much about the Tar Man and the Tar Man's employer.

I liked the world Linda Buckley-Archer created. I liked many of the characters--especially Gideon. But it didn't quite work for me. At least not as much as I wanted--or needed--it to.

Have you read this one? What did you think?

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews


Anonymous,  5:20 AM  

I read the first two books in the series and I think that The Tar Man is better written than Gideon the Cutpurse.

I did not appreciate the overly long chapters and I usually don't like them as a rule in supposedly fast-paced entertaining novels.

I can't bring myself to read Time Quake because I bumped into lots of controversial reviews about it.


Julia,  6:13 PM  

I actually really enjoyed this series...but I like any YA fantasy book I can get my hands on... :)

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP