Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gideon The Catpurse (The Time Travelers) (MG)

Gideon The Catpurse. Linda Buckley-Archer. 2006. Simon & Schuster. 405 pages.

It was early morning on Saturday, the sixteenth of December, the first day of the Christmas holidays. 

I wanted to really love this one. I think I wanted to love it so much because the premise sounded so great. But, for me, it wasn't quite love. I definitely liked it. I am definitely glad I discovered this series. And I definitely want to continue on to see what happens next. But it's not love, not yet.

Our hero (Peter) and heroine (Kate)--two people who are practically strangers until IT happens--are forced to adapt--and adapt quickly--when the two are mysteriously thrown back in time, back to the eighteenth century.

They know their only hope of getting back to the twenty-first century, back to their own time, is if they work together to recover an antigravity machine or device. But this device has fallen into the hands of a villain, a man nicknamed Tar Man. But all hope is not lost, for they become very good friends with a man named Gideon. A man with a past, it's true, but his past may be the key they need to return to the future. For Gideon knows much about the Tar Man and the Tar Man's employer.

I liked the world Linda Buckley-Archer created. I liked many of the characters--especially Gideon. But it didn't quite work for me. At least not as much as I wanted--or needed--it to.

Have you read this one? What did you think?


© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the first two books in the series and I think that The Tar Man is better written than Gideon the Cutpurse.

I did not appreciate the overly long chapters and I usually don't like them as a rule in supposedly fast-paced entertaining novels.

I can't bring myself to read Time Quake because I bumped into lots of controversial reviews about it.

Bye,
Ludo.

Julia said...

I actually really enjoyed this series...but I like any YA fantasy book I can get my hands on... :)