Sunday, December 25, 2011

Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice. Jane Austen. 1813. 386 pages.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

Pride and Prejudice is the first Austen novel I remember reading. And it's such a lovely, lovely read. There is something wonderfully satisfying about it. The characters, the dialogue, the letters.

I reread it this month hoping to recapture some of the joy of that first experience. I don't know if that's even possible. To reread something with new eyes, to seek to feel exactly the same way about it as you did before, but I tried my best.

Did I love it? Yes. Of course. It's Pride and Prejudice. But while other Austen novels have improved upon rereads--me liking them more than I did before, there is no improving Pride and Prejudice.
That's not a bad thing.

Is Pride and Prejudice your favorite Austen? It probably isn't mine. Mine would probably be Persuasion. I love and adore Persuasion. I do. There's just something oh-so-magical about it for me. But Pride and Prejudice though it isn't my favorite it is definitely special. Would I have gone on to read other Austen novels if I hadn't loved Pride and Prejudice? Would I have sought out every Austen movie adaptation if I hadn't loved it so much? Probably not.

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

giffin 7:14 AM  

I just love Jane Austen's books and Persuasion is my favourite too. Have you seen the movie: "Pride and Prejudice" with Colin Firth? It was just perfect! :)

mohali 8:09 AM  

That happeded to me with Wuthering Heights, but not with Watership Down.

Man of la Book 11:49 AM  

This one I haven't tackled yet. Haven't decided if I will.

http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

heidenkind 2:45 PM  

I actually had the opposite experience. The first time I read P&P, I was like, "Well, that was okay." I think I only really started loving it on the second reread.

That being said, I've never reread some of my most favoritest novels just because I'm afraid I won't love them as much as I did the first time I read them. Jane Eyre and Age of Innocence especially.

Anonymous,  8:35 PM  

I read P&P pretty recently for the third time. I would call it my second favorite, after Northanger Abbey.

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP