Friday, December 07, 2012

The Shadow Dragons

The Shadow Dragons. James A. Owen. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 417 pages.

 The Shadow Dragons is my last in the series to reread. The next two books will be new to me! I am still enjoying this series, enjoying the characters and all the twists and turns. Each book leads the Caretaker into a bigger mess, making earlier conflicts seem almost too easy to set right. In this one, "to save the world" the Caretakers must team up with previous Caretakers and loyal subjects/citizens of the Archipelago. There are many separate journeys in this one--the Caretakers split up--and some will venture to the end of the world and back. One of their allies is Don Quixote! Madoc plays a significant role in this one--as does Rose. This book seems to be taking the series in a new direction. 

I did appreciate this one more upon rereading it. When I first read it, I had not read Don Quixote for myself. And I did not truly know his story well enough to appreciate his appearance in this series. I don't think you *have* to have read certain books in order to like the series, but, I do think your appreciation will only grow the more you know your mythology, classics, and fantasy novels. This one is still heavily reliant on King Arthur!!! 

Read The Shadow Dragons
  • IF you have enjoyed the previous books in the series: Here There Be Dragons, Search for the Red Dragon, Indigo King.
  • If you enjoy fantasy, mythology, and classic literature 
  • If you enjoy works by C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Petra said...

It's so exciting to find another fan of the Imaginarium Geographica series! Honestly, when I reread Here, There Be Dragons, I didn't like it as much as I had the first time. Still, I've gotten through the first five books, I believe, so I'm committed to finishing the series. I really love the premise it's based on--combining elements of different fiction--and I love seeing different characters and authors make appearances. It's like one giant celebration of the power and beauty of literature.