Sunday, March 02, 2014

Six Board Books

Toot. Leslie Patricelli. 2014. Candlewick Press. 24 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Toot
Oh.
I tooted!
Toot
Toot
Toot
I'm a train!

I love, love, love Leslie Patricelli's baby board books. I do. There are so many to choose from: Yummy Yucky; Baby Happy, Baby Sad; Quiet Loud; Huggy Kissy; Potty; Tubby; Faster! Faster!; Higher! Higher!; No No Yes Yes; The Birthday Box; Big Little; Blankie; Binky; Fa La La. It would be hard to choose a true favorite. Because there is something about each one that has again, again kid appeal. There's not much to say about Toot, one of the newest books. "I don't know if Kitty toots or if Fishy toots. But I KNOW Doggy toots." AND "I toot in the tubby. It's so bubbly!" This one probably won't be a favorite with me. But I don't think I'm the target audience!

Tickle. Leslie Patricelli. 2014. Candlewick Press. 26 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I am not ticklish!
Grrr
Uh-oh.
TICKLE MONSTER!
Weeee!
Eeek!
Ahhhh!
Gotcha!
I am NOT ticklish!
Except for my legs!

I said earlier that it would be hard to choose a true favorite by Leslie Patricelli. Tickle comes closest perhaps to being a favorite of mine. I ADORE this one. I do. I love, love, love it. It's fun and playful. I think it has great again-again-again appeal! I think there are people who love to be tickle, and people who love to BE tickled. I think this appeals to both!

A Birthday for Cow. Jan Thomas. 2008/2014. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 36 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Today is Cow's birthday...
Toot!
Yippee!
Pig and Mouse are going to make Cow the best birthday cake ever!
They put flour and sugar and eggs in a big bowl.
And a TURNIP?
No, Duck. We will not put in a turnip.

I love Jan Thomas. Like Leslie Patricelli, she's one of my favorite, favorite writers for young children. I adore her books. Probably my favorite, favorite is IS EVERYONE READY FOR FUN? I also enjoy Rhyming Dust Bunnies. Those two along with Birthday for Cow are among my favorites. I am so pleased that A Birthday for Cow is now available in board book format.

In A Birthday for Cow, readers meet Cow, Pig, Mouse, and Duck. Pig, Mouse, and Duck are going to surprise Cow with a birthday cake. They are hard at work. Duck is not helping. Duck is a distraction. A big distraction. Finally the cake is ready to give to Cow. How will Cow react?! Will this be the BEST BIRTHDAY EVER?!

I love the humor! I love the illustrations! It's just fun and playful.

Can You Say It, Too? Moo! Moo! With BIG Flaps to Lift! Sebastien Braun. 2014. Candlewick Press. 10 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Who's that in the barn?
It's a friendly cow!
Moo! Moo!

Who's that behind the bucket?
It's a noisy rooster!
Cock-a-doodle-doo!

Lift the flap books can be fun. Farm books can be fun. So this seems like an easy choice for parents with little ones. It's simple. Very simple. The emphasis is on the sounds farm animals make. I'm not sure it's unique enough to be a WOW book. Personally, my FAVORITE book in this sub-genre is Pig-a-Boo! by Dorothea DePrisco published by Simon & Schuster. It has flaps and is also a touch-and-feel book. Do you have a favorite farm animal book for little ones?

Can You Say It, Too? Woof! Woof! With BIG flaps to Lift! Sebastien Braun. 2014. Candlewick Press. 10 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Who's that behind the gate?
It's a friendly dog.
Woof! Woof!

Who's that beside the flower pots?
It's a playful cat.
Meow! Meow!

 Does your little one love to make animal sounds? Does your little one love to lift flaps in books? Then this new series in the Nosy Crow line might be a good match. Woof! Woof! and Moo! Moo! are two books in a new series called "Can You Say It, Too?" Both books are very simple and quite adequate.

B is for Bulldozer: A Construction ABC. June Sobel. Illustrated by Melissa Iwai. 2003/2013. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Do you see the Asphalt for paving the road,
or the big shiny Bulldozer pushing a load?
I see a Crane way up high in the sky,
and a rusty red Dump truck rumbling by.
Here comes an Excavator to dig a huge hole.
Nearby there's a Forklift hauling a pole.
Let's look for the Grader on the roadbed,
and a man with a Hard hat protecting his head.
I spy an I beam made out of steel,
and a Jackhammer making a noise you can feel.

I was impressed by June Sobel's B is for Bulldozer. Most alphabet books--though not all alphabet books--"teach" the alphabet but fail to tell a larger story. B is for Bulldozer is clearly an alphabet book, but, it is also an entertaining story TOLD IN RHYME. An amusement park is being built. It takes about a year from start of construction to opening day, but for curious children watching the action (from afar) it is a delight! By the end, the children are ready to ZOOM on the roller coaster.

© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: