Wednesday, March 05, 2014

We Were Liars (2014)

We Were Liars. E. Lockhart. 2014. Random House. 240 pages. [Source: Review copy]

We Were Liars isn't a novel to be read; it's a novel to be experienced. From the start, I was almost haunted by the raw emotion of the narrator, Cadence Sinclair Eastman. We Were Liars is an emotional, compelling examination of family, friendship, and first love. Most of the novel focus on a series of summer vacations, but it isn't a light, frivolous read.

Gat, Cadence, Johnny, and Mirren are best friends, at least during the summer; they've been spending their summers together on the island for years now. But one summer EVERYTHING changes...

We Were Liars has an unforgettable narrator. It is a powerful novel, very haunting in all the right ways. And its characters are oh-so-flawed that you just can't help making connections. I would definitely recommend this one!

I have read and loved Lockhart's Ruby Oliver novels. I was surprised by how moved I was by this story. It's just so good, so very different from her previous novels. 

© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Suko said...

I am intrigued by the thought of an unforgettable narrator. It does sound like a very touching book, Becky. Wonderful review!

Kailana said...

I really must get around to reading this. I also had a review copy.

Jordan's Red Pen said...

I agree, I think this book was great. The narrator had a compelling voice and the book itself had a definite "unputdownabale" quality. However, what did you think of the ending? Did you find the "twist" to be a bit improbable, or at least a little cliche? Or is that just me?