Monday, June 01, 2015

Judy Blume (2015)

Judy Blume: Are You There, Reader? It's Me Judy! (Women Who Broke the Rules). Kathleen Krull. 2015. Bloomsbury. 48 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Kathleen Krull has a new nonfiction book series: Women Who Broke The Rules. So far the series features biographies of Sacajawea, Judy Blume, Dolley Madison, and Sonia Sotomayor. Biographies of Coretta Scott King and Mary Todd Lincoln are listed as 'coming soon.' I think the series has some potential for its intended age group. Especially when I think about the oh-so-limited options I had as a child.

I enjoyed reading this biography of Judy Blume. The first chapter takes us from birth through high school graduation, essentially. The next five chapters focus mainly on her writing: her love of writing, the struggle to get published, what she's written, what it's like to be an author,  challenges she's faced, etc.  I like the balance of this one.

Overall, I'm happy to recommend the series. I think it would be a good choice for elementary students. 

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a great review! Do you think this books has the quality for more young ages? I want to read it, but it on more challenging kind of writing so I can improve my reading skills :)