Saturday, June 13, 2015

Seuss on Saturday #24

Fox in Socks. Dr. Seuss. 1965. Random House. 72 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence:
Fox
Socks
Box
Knox
Knox in box.
Fox in socks.
Knox on fox in socks in box. 

Premise/plot: Straight from the cover: This is a book you READ ALOUD to find out just how smart your tongue is. The first time you read it, don't go fast! This Fox is a tricky fox. He'll try to get your tongue in trouble. I couldn't really say it better than that. The main characters are the fox and Mr. Knox. Can Mr. Knox outfox the Fox?!

My thoughts: I love, love, love Fox in Socks. This is one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books. It's just so silly, so over-the-top, so memorable. Do you have a favorite scene or two?
New goo. Blue goo.
Gooey. Gooey.
Blue goo. New goo.
Gluey. Gluey.
Gooey goo
for chewy chewing!
When tweetle beetles fight,
it's called
a tweetle beetle battle.
And when they
battle in a puddle,
it's a tweetle
beetle puddle battle.
AND when tweetle beetles
battle with paddles in a puddle,
they call it a tweetle
beetle puddle paddle battle.
AND...
Those are two of my favorites scenes.

Have you read Fox in Socks? Did you like it? love it? hate it? I'd love to know what you thought of it!

If you'd like to join me in reading or rereading Dr. Seuss (chronologically) I'd love to have you join me! The next book I'll be reviewing is I Wish That I Had Duck Feet.

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Susan @ Reading World said...

This was one of my favorite read-a-louds when my kids were little. I also loved "Oh Say Can You Say."

Brona said...

I taught myself to read with One Fish, Two Red, Red Fish Blue Fish and Ten Apple Up on Top, so I have very fond memories of Dr Seuss too :-)

Good luck with your challenge.