Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Jack (2015)

Jack. Liesl Shurtliff. 2015. Random House. 304 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I really enjoyed Liesl Shurtliff's Rump. I enjoyed this one as well, but, perhaps a tiny bit less. Still, it's easy to recommend both books to fans of fairy tale adaptations.

Jack is the hero. He's grown up hearing stories of his ancestor Jack who fought giants. But he's not truly expecting an adventure of his own. After all, giants aren't stomping around making threats as far as he can tell. At least until they are. When it rains dirt, watch out! For Jack's life has just become more dangerous and exciting. Giants have suddenly become a BIG, BIG problem. They are coming down from the sky, stealing crops, stealing buildings, stealing people. Jack's Dad is one of the taken. Jack is determined to go off and find his father, to perhaps 'save the day' as well. He plants magic beans, and his adventure begins...

I liked meeting Jack, and his younger sister, Annabella. I liked his adventures in the land of the giants. He meets other "elves" (humans). He meets a few giants. Some giants are nice, such as Martha, the cook. But not all giants are nice. One is HORRIBLE. He is the king, of course, King Barf (or King Bartholomew). And then there are the pixies!

As for the plot, it was really well done: lots of action and adventure. He's always doing something or going somewhere. There's never a slow moment. I also think there's a good bit of world development. It's just a fun read.

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

This one I liked more than Rump, so now I feel that I should revisit that title! Nice to see a fairy tale rebelling with a boy as the main character for a change.

Sherry said...

I tried thread this one and got about a third of the way through, but I found it boring. I was going to read Rump, but if the two books are similar, I think I'll skip it.