Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Among the Betrayed

Among the Betrayed. (Shadow Children #3) Margaret Peterson Haddix. 2002. 160 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: You were supposed to wake up from nightmares.

Premise/plot: Among the Betrayed is the third book in the fast-paced, action series by Margaret Peterson Haddix. This Shadow Children's novel doesn't focus on Luke--or Lee. The narrative shifts to a girl we met in the second book, Nina. What do we know about Nina from the last book? Well, she attends a girls school close to the school that Lee Grant attends. Nina is good friends with Jason. Lee overhears Jason talking about how he and Nina are getting ready to betray the students who are illegal and trying to pass using fake ids. Lee calls Mr. Talbot and tries to let him know what's going on without saying it in an obvious way. Among the Betrayed is Nina's story.

Nina is being held prisoner; but does she belong in prison? Is she guilty of a crime? Or has she been framed? Nina's loyalty is put to the test.

My thoughts: I am rereading this series. At first I didn't remember this narrative shift. You'd think I remembered that one whole book is narrated by someone else, but, I didn't. Then again, that isn't a big shock. I read a lot of books! I did like Nina. Within a few chapters, I was completely hooked to this one and enjoying it just as much as the previous two novels in the series.

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: