Saturday, October 21, 2017

Hug this Book

Hug This Book. Barney Saltzberg. Illustrated by Fred Benaglia. 2016. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: You can read this book to a hippo. You can read this book in the bath. If you read this book being tickled, I dare you not to laugh! You can kiss and hug and smell this book. That might sound sort of silly. You can wrap this book in a sweater, if it ever gets too chilly.

Premise/plot: The children in this book have found a book that they LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

My thoughts: Who hasn't wanted to hug a book? Be honest. Aren't there some books that you really do love in a crazy, over-the-top way? The question isn't have I ever really, truly loved a book. The question is do I feel that way about Barney Saltzberg's Hug This Book?! I can appreciate the over-the-top nature of the book. It's very silly. But the thing is that I really do find myself loving the rhythm and rhyme of it. I think the text just works really well when read aloud. That being said, do I love the art? Not really. In fact, I really don't.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Amanda said...

This book sounds so adorable. And yes, I do hug books when I really really like them!