Saturday, January 13, 2018

My Victorian Year #2

This week I reviewed three Victorian books. I reviewed Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. I reviewed Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope. I reviewed The Widow of Windsor by Jean Plaidy.

The next Trollope I'll be reading is Orley Farm. I do have a decided order for approaching Trollope; I am reading chronologically. I believe I've read the first three chapters?! I'm sure we'll be spending quite a few Saturdays talking about the book. It is 825 pages! I'd love to finish it by the end of January, but we'll have to see how it goes!

This is how the novel begins, "It is not true that a rose by any other name will smell as sweet. Were it true, I should call this story “The Great Orley Farm Case.” But who would ask for the ninth number of a serial work burthened with so very uncouth an appellation? Thence, and therefore, — Orley Farm."


Two more quotes: 
  • Let one live according to any possible or impossible rule, yet some offence will be given in some quarter.
  • The capital that is really wanting is thought, mind, combination, knowledge.
I have also begun Elizabeth Gaskell's Mary Barton. I have read four chapters so far.

Favorite quote:
Don't think to come over me with th' old tale, that the rich know nothing of the trials of the poor; I say, if they don't know, they ought to know.


© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Nina said...

Ooh, I like this!