Thursday, January 25, 2018

Snow

Snow. Cynthia Rylant. Illustrated by Lauren Stringer. 2008. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: The best snow is the snow that comes softly in the night, like a shy friend afraid to knock, so she thinks she'll just wait in the yard until you see her. This is the snow that brings you peace.

Premise/plot: In Rylant's poetic picture book, snow--in all its varieties--is celebrated.
Children love snow better than anyone does, and they never complain as they pull on their red boots and mittens and make plans to catch wet flakes on their tongues and roll their small bodies to the bottom of a hill. The snow loves them back. It gives them angels and new friends.
My thoughts: I wasn't expecting to love this one, but I did. I loved the writing. I found it lyrical, descriptive, beautiful. One of my favorite sentences is, "And the snow, while it is here, reminds us of this: that nothing lasts forever except memories." I also loved the illustrations. I found them beautiful, enchanting. In many spreads, readers see a young girl and her grandmother. The text tells us nothing about them personally, but the illustrations communicate so much. (The illustrations also reveal they have a cat.)

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10


© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: