Monday, May 14, 2018

I Am Loved

I Am Loved. Nikki Giovanni. Illustrated by Ashley Bryan. 2018. Simon and Schuster. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence:
Because
I wrote a poem
for you because
you are
my little boy
I wrote a poem
for you because
you are
my darling daughter
and in this poem
I sang a song
that says
as time goes on
I am you
and you are me
and that's how life
goes on

Premise/plot: I Am Loved is a collection of poems by Nikki Giovanni newly illustrated by Ashley Bryan.

My thoughts: I want to like poetry more than I actually like poetry. I wanted to enjoy this collection. I did. But with the exception of one or two poems, I didn't. The poems I did like were "Quilts" and "Three/Quarters Time." Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All books are subjective; perhaps poetry is even more so. You may enjoy this collection more than I did. (I hope you do!)

Personally, the lack of punctuation--and the lack of proper capitalization in some cases--bothered me way too much. I realize that poetry is ART. There is no one "right" way to do it.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: