Tuesday, April 02, 2019

The Wagon Train Trek (Oregon Trail #6)

The Oregon Trail: The Wagon Train Trek. Jesse Wiley. 2019. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 176 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: It's 1855, and you and your family are headed west to Oregon City to start a new life. Your pa is a doctor--and the leader of your wagon train. You're getting older now, so it's your responsibility to help Pa and Ma, along with your two Newfoundland dogs. You will lead your team of six wagons from Independence, Missouri, all the way to Oregon City. Pa is eager to join a practice there, and you're excited for a new home, wide open spaces, and the journey ahead.

Premise/plot: The Wagon Train Trek is a stand-alone novel in the Choose Your Own Adventure tradition. This one--like the five that came before it--is inspired by the video game, The Oregon Trail. There are twenty-three possible endings, but only one ending that sees you and your family safely arriving in Oregon City. Not every "bad" ending ends in DEATH, but many do.

My thoughts: How do YOU read a Choose Your Own Adventure novel? Do you read ALL the possible endings? Or do you focus on getting the one HAPPY ending?

I read with a pen and paper nearby. I mark all the decisions and their results. I want to make sure that I read all twenty-three endings.

These books are so much fun!

© 2019 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I loved the choose your own adventure series when I was young! I would always try for the happy ending, but often ended up reading all the rest. I didn't know about this new series. Thanks for sharing.