Sunday, December 22, 2019

A Vow For Christmas

A Vow for Christmas. (Spinster Mail-Order Brides #7) Linda Carroll-Bradd. 2019. 92 pages. [Source: Review copy]

  First sentence: “Nay, sir, you canna come inside.” Vika shoved a shoulder hard on the apartment door, leveraging her weight against that of the landlord, Mister Zeleny. She jammed a booted foot at the base. “I’ve three more days until the rent is due.”

Premise/plot: Chad Rutherford is a widower advertising for a bride in Linda Carroll-Bradd's new historical romance novel. Set in Colorado in 1881, it stars a "spinster" mail-order bride, Vika Carmichael, and a widower, Chad Rutherford. They marry hours within meeting. But will this marriage of convenience prove to be a love match?

My thoughts: Say what you will, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a good predictable, oh-so-satisfying, formulaic romance novel. Particularly if it's historical romance. I was not surprised by any plot twists. Did I care?! NOT for a minute. I found this one giddy-making from start to finish. The kind of book you read with a super-silly grin on your face. It is a nice touch that this one is holiday-themed. Of course, it wouldn't have to be holiday-themed to be enjoyable. It's not the fact that these two marry close to Christmas that makes it oh-so-magical, at least not for me. It's the happily ever after.

Is it clean? Is it smutty? It's neither. It's not super-squeaky clean. There are descriptive kisses, all after the vows if that matters to you. But it's so far from smutty that some readers (not me) will be disappointed perhaps.


© 2019 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Lark said...

I love a good mail-order bride story! :)