Wednesday, January 05, 2022

5. The Captive Kingdom


The Captive Kingdom. (Ascendance #4) Jennifer A. Nielsen. 2020. [October] 374 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: One may ask, how is the great King Jaron described by those who know him?

The Shadow Throne has an incredible tied-up-in-a-bow ending that is giddy making. So what does The Captive Kingdom add to the series???

The Captive Kingdom takes place in that 'missing year' before the super-happy ending in The Shadow Throne. It rewinds the story to let readers know that things didn't suddenly become super-easy and ultra-convenient for the characters all of a sudden. They had to WORK (even more than we thought) for their happily ever after.

In case you haven't just read the first three books essentially back to back to back... King Jaron is on the throne, but it hasn't been easy for him to stay on the throne and keep his kingdom safe. It's involved risking his life again and again and again and again. Also a lot of breaking bones and "really big boo-boos." Imogen and Jaron are together--at last!--and things seem to be falling in place.

But an unexpected attack at sea--by an enemy long discounted by nearly everyone--brings their happily ever after to a halt. Once more there's DANGER, DANGER, more DANGER. And an uncovering of secrets.

I will say that the PLOT TWIST in this one was unexpected. I did NOT see it coming. There were no clues from the other books (and I've read them recently enough to remember.) But I don't have a problem with this NEW twist--even if it is an add-on.

This one still features the characters I've come to know and love. I don't know that I *need* this book in the series. I have yet to read the newest new book in the series. Perhaps I'll come to the conclusion that three books was enough for me. Maybe I won't. It's unfair to judge decisively at this point what I'll ultimately decide...


 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: