Monday, January 10, 2022

6. Once Upon a Camel


Once Upon A Camel. Kathi Appelt. 2021. [September] 336 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: "Incoming!" Even in her sleep, Zada recognized that voice. The old camel raised one eyelid. It was still dark.

Premise/plot: Once Upon a Camel is Kathi Appelt's newest animal fantasy. It is set in Texas circa 1910 (though it has flashbacks dating from the 1850s) and stars a camel, Zada, and a family of kestrels. A sand storm is coming--and fast--and all are in danger. It is ultimately up to 'Auntie' Zada (and her stories) to save the lives of the chicks Wims and Beulah. These two are left in her care--atop her head to be precise--when their parents Perlita and Pard are blown away or caught up in the storm. Can she keep them safe? Will they make it to the mission? (their prearranged meeting spot after the storm) Will everyone survive?

My thoughts: Once Upon a Camel is animal fantasy with a historical setting that very much celebrates stories and the idea of linking stories and survival. Zada's stories--selectively covering her past--give her the mental/emotional/spiritual boost she needs to keep going, keep hoping, keep it together. And the chicks, well, they love Zada's stories. The stories are both entertainment, distraction, and love language.

I was a little nervous about this one so I had my mom read it first. I don't handle SAD well. She highly recommended that I read this one. I'm so glad I did. I definitely found it a captivating story. Though I don't consider myself a 'bird person' I soon got caught up in the story. I was hoping that all would be well and that Wims and Beulah would be reunited with their parents. 

The ending was GOOD.

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: