Saturday, January 01, 2022

1. The False Prince


The False Prince (Ascendance #1) Jennifer A. Nielsen. 2012. 342 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: If I had it to do all over again, I would not have chosen this life. Then again, I'm not sure I ever had a choice. These were my thoughts as I raced away from the market, with a stolen roast tucked under my arm.

Sage, our young mischievous hero, is about to become closely entangled with a dangerous scheme. Not of his own choosing, mind you, but his escapades with the roast lead to some unexpected consequences. He finds himself one of four (soon to be one of three) young orphans being trained to impersonate the dead Prince Jaron. Prince Jaron was murdered by pirates--so everyone says--though it was never proven. Conveniently never proven since actual evidence would have probably led to war. But there is an opportunity for the brave, reckless, scheming sort to grab the throne...

Sage has a choice to make...go along with this scheme and do whatever it takes to "win" this competition to become the PRINCE or resist and rebel and ultimately die for his failure. There can only be one PRINCE after all. Does he have what it takes to become prince (and ultimately KING).

This is my third time to read The False Prince. Looking back at earlier reviews, it seems I have loved, loved, loved, LOVED it each time. I'm still good with that reaction. I am. I had forgotten just how much I love this series. But, yes, I do LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. I love the characters. I love the setting and world-building. I love the relationships.

 I do have my own copies of these books. But I found it more convenient to read the library copies.

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: