Thursday, April 27, 2023

85. Harboring Hope


Harboring Hope. Susan Hood. 2023. [March] 400 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Knock! Knock!
A package at the door!
It was rectangular,
big enough
that Henny had to grasp it
with two hands.
It was addressed to her.
Who was it from?
What was inside?

Premise/plot: Middle grade historical fiction novel written in verse with a World War II setting--this is how I'd describe Susan Hood's newest novel, Harboring Hope. It is based on the life of Henny Sinding, a young woman (teen? tween?), who helped Jews escape from Nazi-Occupied Denmark. She was part of a network, certainly, part of the Danish Resistance. She smuggles Jews onto the Gerda III, a supply boat. The boat then takes the Jews to a safer country. (The historical note at the end pointed out that 99 (or 98) percent of Jews were saved--avoided deportation to concentration camps or falling into the hands of the Nazis. This is a really HIGH number.)

As I said, this is one story about one person who helped. It has fallen out of favor--and who am I to argue--to call them rescuers. I hope it isn't incorrect to say helped. 

My thoughts: I definitely felt the story was engaging/compelling. I am always open to reading more stories [fiction and nonfiction] about World War II and the Holocaust. Every story is important. This one is based on a true story, a real person. 

I don't automatically love, love, love the verse novel format. I would read it either way--verse or prose. The subject matter is heavy, weighty, serious. The verse doesn't seem to be elevating the narrative. In other words, the verse doesn't seem especially poetic. 

Again, I enjoyed the book. I would read it no matter the format. One plus to having it in verse format, I suppose, is that verse novels *feel* quicker to read.

ETA: Is it historical fiction? Is it nonfiction? I am not 100% sure. I know it is BASED on a true story, the characters were real people, this is history. But does that automatically make it nonfiction? Or can it have fictional elements--like dialogue or sequence of events--added???

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: