Tuesday, April 04, 2023

69. The Other Side of the River


The Other Side of the River (Petra Luna #2) Alda P. Dobbs. 2022. [January] 368 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: It was early, dark still, when crashing sounds startled me awake. I sat up amid the darkness, tense, ready to run. My heart thrashed inside me. Had I heard a cannon blast? 

Premise/plot: The Other Side of the River is the sequel to Barefoot Dreams of Petra Luna. It picks up right where Barefoot left off. Petra Luna is with her grandmother, younger sister, baby brother, in a refugee camp. She's trying to find work--any kind of work--to help support her family. This book has them moving to San Antonio and trying to establish new lives in America.

My thoughts: I loved, loved, loved the first book. The second book was wonderful as well. These two books seem so seamless--like they belong together to tell a single story. I loved following her story. I loved the setting. It was engaging and thought-provoking. 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Marg said...

Thank you for sharing your review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge