Thursday, April 13, 2023

74. One, Two, Buckle My Shoe


One, Two, Buckle My Shoe. Agatha Christie. 1940. 224 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Mr. Morley was not in the best of tempers at breakfast.

Premise/plot: Hercule Poirot goes to the dentist. Several hours later, he learns that the dentist--his dentist--has been found dead. Was it suicide? Was it murder? Can Hercule Poirot find out who hated this dentist enough to murder him--if it was murder at all? Why was he killed? Or why did he kill himself? Poirot tracks down who had motive and opportunity to commit this crime...

My thoughts: I didn't like this Agatha Christie novel at all. I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it's my least favorite Christie novel of all time. But it's probably bottom five material. I just didn't care for how this one unfolded. I don't mean I didn't care for how it resolved or how all was resolved. I meant the way that the suspects entered the story, the way the clues unfolded, it was just odd. Odd can be a good thing in a mystery. (But not always). 

Have you read this one? What did you think?

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

It's beena while since I read any Christie, and I haven't read this one. It will be interesting to see what is released in digital formats now that some of her works have come into the public domain. I'm more of a Sayers fan myself!