Friday, November 02, 2007

Song of the Sparrow


Sandell, Lisa Ann. 2007. Song of the Sparrow.

Song of the Sparrow is a wonderful verse novel that retells the story of Elaine the Lady of Shalott. While the literary tradition has her as beautiful but essentially weak and desperate, Sandell's Elaine is strong, brave, and while she, for a time, is lovesick on Lancelot, she is not too desperate or clingy. (Not, I'll die without his love desperate.) Meet Arthur, Elaine, Gwynivere, Lancelot, Tristan, and Gawain in this new telling of love and war. The poetry is powerful and quite effective in communicating the behind the scenes emotions as well as capturing the senses--especially the sights and sounds of battle camps and war.

Here is a snippet from the tenth chapter:

I wish I could go back to that time,
when my mother would smile
the gentle smile that told me,
all is right and well.
Back to that time when I was
young
and loved
and safe.
When we were all safe.

That things change,
that people change,
and die,
that we grow older,
that life brings the unexpected,
the unwanted,
oh,
some days it fills me with
a measure of lightness, for
I will be a woman soon.
But other days,
the very thought
of growing older,
of not being that small girl
who danced over river rocks,
whose brothers held her hands,
whose mother lived,
the very thought of it
crushes me,
till it is stopped,
by the world
outside
my memories.

6 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Definitely sounds interesting -- thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

I read this book and I couldn't put it down! I love this book and I hope more people get to read it and enjoy it as well! Thanks for the amazing review... you hit it right on the dot!

Anonymous said...

Cammie Said....

I loved this book so much! Everyday I will look it up...and make sure there is a sequel!! This book is full of love, blood, betrayal, and war. ( my 3 favorite genres!) I accually cried when i was finished because there was NO sequel!!!! I hope everyone in the world will read this book someday..

Anonymous said...

"oh,
some days it feels me with
a measure of lightness, for
I will be a woman soon."

I havent read the book, but artistic freedom aside, shouldnt be "feels" be "fills"? Is that really a grammatical error from the book? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I hope Lisa Ann Sandell writes a sequel to Song of the Sparrow and I check everyday to see if she is making a sequel. Maybe even a movie it is so great to see a movie come out about Song of the Sparrow. I Loved the book it had great romance and adventure. I Loved this book and I hope a sequel or a movie.

Christopher Slee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.