What I've done is gone through my 'Sunday Salon' posts of the past year where I shared my week's reading. I picked my favorite-and-best from each week. These books may not have ended up in that month's top five, but these are the best books I read week by week by week. I chose to focus on middle grade through adult. (I excluded picture books from this list. I'll try to do a best-of-picture books feature at another time.)
1. The Farwalker's Quest by Joni Sensel. 2009.
2. Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott. 2009.
3. Nefertiti by Michelle Moran. 2007.
4. The King's Rose by Alisa M. Libby. 2009.
5. Infernal Devices by Philp Reeve. 2005.
6. Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George. 2009.
7. Old Friends and New Fancies: An Imaginary Sequel to the Novels of Jane Austen. By Sybil G. Brinton. 1914/2008.
8. The Year The Swallows Came Early by Kathryn Fitzmaurice. 2009.
9. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. 1605/1615.
10. Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork. 2009.
11. The Forest of Hands and Feet by Carrie Ryan. 2009.
12. Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev. 2009.
13. Maus: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman. 1986. & Maus II : A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman. 1991
14. A Passion Most Pure by Julie Lessman. 2008.
15. Jumped. Rita Williams-Garcia. 2009.
16. Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner. 2009.
17. The Warden. Anthony Trollope. 1855.
18. The Queen of Everything. Deb Caletti. 2002.
19. Forest Born by Shannon Hale. 2009.
20. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. 2009.
21. Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians. Brandon Sanderson. 2007.
22. Fat Cat by Robin Brande. 2009.
23. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. 1986.
24. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen. 2009.
25. A Tangled Web by L.M. Montgomery. 1931.
26. Old Man's War by John Scalzi. 2005.
27. Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope. 1857.
28. Three Men In a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. 1889.
29. To Say Nothing of the Dog. Connie Willis. 1998.
30. The Emerald Tablet. P.J. Hoover. 2008
31. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. By Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. 2008.
32. The Frontiersman's Daughter by Laura Frantz. 2009.
33. Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen. 2007.
34. Sent by Margaret Peterson Haddix. 2009.
35. Jumping Off Swings. Jo Knowles. 2009.
36. The Martian Child by David Gerrold. 2002.
37. The Ask and the Answer. Patrick Ness. 2009.
38. The Indigo Notebook by Laura Resau. 2009.
39. The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte. Syrie James. 2009.
40. Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty. 2009
41. Lips Touch Three Times. Laini Taylor. 2009.
42. The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine. 2009.
43. All the Broken Pieces. Ann E. Burg. 2009.
44. Crossing Stones. Helen Frost. 2009.
45. The Shadow Dragons. James A. Owen. 2009.
46. A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell. 2008.
47. Colonel Brandon's Diary. Amanda Grange. 2008.
48. Nation by Terry Pratchett. 2008.
49. Antsy Does Time. Neal Shusterman. 2008.
50. The Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis. Barbara O'Connor. 2009.
51. Anything But Typical. Nora Raleigh Baskin. 2009.
52. Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer. 1932.
© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
#WNDB Wednesday- Families can be diverse
28 minutes ago