I loved, loved, LOVED reading Marilyn Singer's Follow Follow. If you love fairy tales, you MUST read Follow Follow. If you love good poetry, you MUST read Follow Follow. If you're new to reverso poems, to the concept of this form of poetry, you should really read Follow Follow or its companion Mirror Mirror. I love how the form itself is so engaging. It takes poetry to a whole new level for me! (It may do the same for you. I hope it does!)
The reverso, a form I created, is made up of two poems. Read the first down and it says one thing. Read it back up, with changes only in punctuation and capitalization, and it means something completely different. When you flip the poem, sometimes the same narrator has a different point of view. Other times, there is another narrator all together.The poems:
- Your Wish Is My Command (Aladdin)
- Birthday Suit (The Emperor's New Clothes)
- Silly Goose (The Golden Goose)
- Ready, Steady, Go (The Tortoise and the Hare)
- Will the Real Princess Please Stand Up (The Princess and the Pea)
- The Little Mermaid's Choice (The Little Mermaid)
- Panache (Puss in Boots)
- Follow Follow (The Pied Piper)
- No Bigger Than Your Thumb (Thumbelina)
- Can't Blow This House Down (The Three Little Pigs)
- The Nightingale's Emperor (The Nightingale)
- On With The Dance (The Twelve Dancing Princesses)
The Little Mermaid's Choice
give up your voice.
On the shore,
be his shadow.
keep your home
in the unruly sea.
"You'll never catch me!"
You'll never catch me
in the unruly sea.
Keep your home.
be his shadow
on the shore.
give up your voice
Reading these poems is just a JOY. I love how engaging it is. How it makes you think and reflect on the familiar stories. I love how the poems play around with voice and perspective!!! So very clever!
Read this book!!!
© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews