Monday, June 15, 2015

Nobody's Perfect (2015)

Nobody's Perfect. David Elliott. Illustrated by Sam Zuppardi. 2015. Candlewick Press. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: "Nobody's perfect." That's what everybody says. And I guess they're right. Like Gigi. She's my sister. She's not perfect. She's loud! Really loud!

Premise/plot: While in a time-out, a young boy reflects on his life realizing that "everybody" is right after all: nobody's perfect. Readers learn about his life: his family, his friends, the good times and bad. It's a simple book, in a way. Funny and sweet too. I think the story is easy to relate to for many.

My thoughts: Did I really, really like this one? Or did I really, really love it?! That is the question. Only time can say for sure. But I definitely felt an emotional connection with this one! I think the page that won me over completely was this one, "I'm not perfect either. This is my room before I clean it." Turn the page, "This is my room after I clean it." The illustrations show that AFTER he TRIES to clean it, it is EVEN messier. And notice: HE'S NOW ON THE BED READING A BOOK. How could I not love this kid?! And that isn't the only clue that this kid loves to read! Overall, I would definitely recommend this one!!!

I loved the text. The illustrations? Well, some pages I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED. And other pages, I merely "liked" them.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP