Friday, March 16, 2007

Top Ten Books You Cannot Live Without

This 'meme' comes from Kailana's Written World...

Also, do not forget that it would be best to only include books that you have read, and they do not have to be your favourite books of all time, just the books that you think that you or the world could not be without. Try and limit yourself to ten, but if you need one or two extra, like for a Thursday Thirteen, that would be fine. Try not to go overboard!

1. The World's Best Fairy Tales. A Reader's Digest Anthology. Edited by Belle Becker Sideman. Illustrations by Fritz Kredel. Published circa 1967. Around 830 pages of pure storytelling :) While I can't testify that I've read the book cover-to-cover, I must say it's been a favorite since I learned to read twenty-plus years ago. And it's always made my desert island list.

2. Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I don't know if it's fair to bend the rules and count the whole series as one book...but if no one calls me on it...I'll let it stand. These books make the list because they became a part of me. (And I don't think I'm alone on this.) I wanted TO BE Laura Ingalls Wilder when I grew up. (I may be alone on that.)

3. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery...again if I can count the whole series...but if I can't, I guess the first one will suffice. I loved this book when I was growing up. Probably discovered it around the age of eleven or twelve...and have never stopped loving it.

4. The World of Pooh. A.A. Milne. A world without pooh???? Who could imagine it...certainly not me. (Although I'm more Piglet than Pooh). One of the few books whose lines and hums I can still remember. Is it normal to go around humming the hums of a Pooh???

5. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie. Maybe some people could live without Peter Pan...but I sure wouldn't want to. Some may think the writing's a bit too sentimental...but me I'm in love with the boy that will never grow up.

6. Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. This book has gotten me through a lot. I fell in love with it at twelve or thirteen. And I've worn out three or four copies of the book. In times of stress, I CRAVE this book. I don't know why. My mom always thought I was a bit crazy that I *had* to start reading Gone With The Wind every semester right before finals week...but it worked for me somehow. Oddly enough since I've been out of school for the most part, I haven't been needing to read it as often. I don't think I've read it since 2001 or 2002....

7. Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. All 7 books...but they have been available as one book for so long...it's not really cheating to list all seven as one book. I *discovered* the glory and wonder of Narnia in fourth grade. I've been back to visit regularly ever since.

8. Jane Austen: Her Complete Novels. Again one volume. Not cheating. The romantic in me would *have* to have Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion nearby...I love getting lost in her books.

9. Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Okay, I know not *everyone* loves Alice. But I love Alice. I can't imagine a world without her. Maybe it's the happy childhood memories of my mom, my sister, and I reading side by side taking turns reading aloud. Maybe not everyone 'gets' Alice and her crazy world...but I just love these books.

10. Ender's Game is my final choice. It isn't an easy one. But I can't imagine a top ten list without it. I absolutely love this book. I love Orson Scott Card. I can't imagine not reading this book every year. It's one I've devoured time and time and time again. I could have easily chosen others...I could probably come up with a Top 100 List of books I can't live without out...but Ender's Game wins the final slot.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were exiled and told I could only take 10 books with me, the first three would be cheats:

1) The Norton Anthology of Poetry
2) The Collected Works of William Shakespeare
3) The Bible

After that, I'd play by the rules

4)The Emily Books (L.M. Montgomery)
5)The Blue Sword (Robin McKinely)
6)Persuasion (Jane Austen)
7)Twilight (Stephenie Meyer)
8)To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
9) The Chronicles of Narnia
10) Good Poems for Hard Times (edited by Garrison Keiler -- and if I were exiled, I could spend time memorizing these)

Becky said...

Oh, I love your choices. I had completely forgotten about my good ol' Norton anthologies. As an English major, it was rare to have a semester without one or two...and they'd be great choices. Such diversity. Such quality. Such depth.

Same thing with Shakespeare. Shakespeare *almost* made my list. If I were going to play by the rules and reflect who has influenced the world the most. But when weighing which I'd be more likely to read cover to cover over and over again...I went with something a little bit more user-friendly. I love the bard. I do. Much Ado About Nothing is my favorite comedy...and don't even make me think about picking a favorite tragedy...but childhood classics speak comfort to me.

The Bible. I didn't necessarily forget this one. I meant to include it actually. Despite the fact that some might roll their eyes at it appearing. I have read it all--many times. Couldn't go too long without having one close by. But other books kept popping into my head...but I'll tell you this. If we were playing which books to take on a desert island...something would have to go because I'd want this one for sure.

Love the Emily books by L.M. Montgomery. Loved everything Montgomery in fact...It would be nice if there was a complete works of L.M. Montgomery that we could have as a cheat for the list....

Never read Blue Sword though it's on my eventual TBR list since I've read some of her other books (Beauty, Spindle's End)

Twilight. Oh, how I love Twilight.

Love To Kill A Mockingbird.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you must pick up the Blue Sword -- my very favorite McKinely book. Harry (a woman) is an incredible protagonist.

And if I were stranded on a Island, it'd have to be Shakespeare's "The Tempest." :)

Stephanie said...

Great list Becky! I have Pooh on my list too!! A World without Pooh?? I shudder to think!

Kailana said...

Thanks for joining in! I had to laugh at the inclusion of all the Austen novels, but you are right, one volume so not really cheating. lol

Anonymous said...

The Bible would be on my list as well. I too have read it many times, and as you say, it's always nearby.

BTW : which 2 soap operas do you watch ?

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ender's Game!!! I loooove that book (but didn't think to include it. Shame on me.)

The Tour Manager and I buy copies all the time, whenever we see them at book sales and the like. We give them to everyone. No one's disappointed in it.

Josette said...

I've always liked Peter Pan too. Nice list. The Chronicles of Narnia was okay and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is my favourite. And I've only read a couple of the Little House books.