Monday, August 10, 2015

Where Did My Clothes Come From?

Where Did My Clothes Come From? Chris Butterworth. Illustrated by Lucia Gaggiotti. 2015. Candlewick Press. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

 First sentence: Wouldn't it be great if you could wear your favorite clothes ALL the time? But you need different clothes for different weather and for doing different things.

Premise/plot: A nonfiction book written for children to answer two questions: 1) What are your clothes made of? 2) Where did they come from? Readers learn about what jeans, sweaters, silk/satin dresses, soccer uniforms, fleece jackets, and rain boots. Several pages tell the story of each item. (Think "Bert's Blanket" but without the singing. Actually the comparison isn't exactly fair, the subject is treated seriously and factually.)

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I did. I found it interesting. I had no idea, for example, that fleece jackets are made from recycled plastic bottles. "It takes about 12 bottles to make your fleece jacket." The information is presented well: clearly, step by step. I definitely appreciated that. This one is easy to recommend.

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Judaye said...

Thanks for the great review. Now there's another book I need to read.