Saturday, September 30, 2017

Blue Ethel

Blue Ethel. Jennifer Black Reinhardt. 2017. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Ethel was old. She was fat. She was black. She was white. And she was very set in her ways.

Premise/plot: Love cats? You should meet Ethel. I loved her at hello. She's a creature of routine, and, I can certainly appreciate that!
Every day Ethel went outside to survey the land, monitor the weather, chase villains, and explore her favorite sidewalk square, where she liked to roll before taking a nap after her long day. It wasn't easy being Ethel, but she was good at it.
Blue Ethel is the story of what happens to shake up Ethel's routine. One day Ethel's sidewalk square has been colored on with sidewalk chalk. And Ethel, well, she's not quite the same cat as before once she's done rolling around on HER square.

My thoughts: I ADORED the text of this one. I absolutely adored it. I loved how Ethel made friends with Fluffy. And the ending was FABULOUS. I couldn't imagine a better ending for this one. That being said, I'm not sure I adored the illustrations as much as I did the text. A few pages I loved however. (For example, the page with the sidewalk. A child has been BUSY. And the art on the sidewalk is definitely KID ART.) I loved the end papers as well!

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10



© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: