Friday, September 29, 2017

Egg

Egg. Kevin Henkes. 2017. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: egg, egg, egg, egg. crack, crack, crack, egg. surprise! surprise! surprise! egg. goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, egg.

Premise/plot: Egg is the story of FOUR eggs. Three of the four eggs hatch together: a red bird, a yellow bird, a blue bird. The green egg, well, the green egg doesn't--for the longest time. When that egg hatches, what will emerge?! Will the birds make a new friend?!

My thoughts: I really enjoyed Egg. I was skeptical of this one at first. Before I even opened it, I thought that it would probably not work for me. The cover just didn't say "read me, read me." But when I saw the format and read the story, I was pleased. One of my favorite things about early Sesame Street was playing/singing: "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong..." This book definitely fits in with that concept or theme. But the book does challenge the "doesn't belong" aspect of it.

The story is told very simply. I'm not sure there's a complete sentence in the whole book. The story is told a phrase at a time. There is a LOT of repetition. But the story is also told largely through the illustrations. One could definitely read this one through the pictures alone and get the basics of the story. Sure, children might not get the word "miserable" from the illustration alone...but SAD...yes.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: