Saturday, July 07, 2018

Me? Listen to Audio?! #26

The Three Musketeers (Version 2) Alexandre Dumas. Translated by William Robson. Read by Mark F Smith for Librovox. 1844. 26 hours and 40 minutes.

Is The Three Musketeers the longest audio book I've tackled to date? I think it might just be. I didn't find the length intimidating. Quite the contrary actually. It was comforting to know what I would be listening to as I work each day. It was comforting to know that I wouldn't have to make a decision--at least not about that.

Athos, Portos, Aramis, and D'Artagnan star in this action-packed adventure story set in France in the 1620s. Every other chapter or so there seems to be a crisis for them to face--a challenge to face together, of course.

I do not think any of the movie adaptations I've seen cover the whole book, the whole story, all the characters.

I was only planning on listening to this one for the Paris in July experience. But listening made me want to read the book. I think I'll enjoy reading it even more than listening to it.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Mel u said...

I read this maybe fifty years ago. I have seen several movie versions. Glad to hear of your experience

vvb32 reads said...

Good one to tackle. I've only seen the movie version of this story.

Brona said...

I've been reading Les Mis, a chapter a day, this year. I've enjoyed it so much that I'm already planning which book should get the same treatment next year. Both of these books are contenders, although it's hard to find a in print copy of Cyrano in English atm.

Which one would you suggest as a good chapter-a-day read?

Louise said...

I read TTM about five years ago. It was great.

Lisbeth said...

I have never read the book, but seen various movie adaptations. It is a traditional adventure book. Maybe I should try to read it as well. As Brona says: a chapter a day....!