Friday, August 03, 2018

I'm Fun, Too!

I'm Fun, Too! (A Classic Lego Picture Book). Jonathan Fenske. 2018. Scholastic. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: It is no fun being NO FUN. Look at the NEW guys......with their FANCY HAIR, and FANCY CLOTHES, and FANCY FACES. Everyone wants to play with THEM.

Premise/plot: This picture book is narrated by an ordinary, plain, classic LEGO minifigure. He feels less than until he realizes that he has it good after all. He has potential and promise. He can do anything, be anything: the world is his to build.

My thoughts: I really LOVED this one. I did. It works on so many levels. I loved it as a straightforward story. It was fun--and funny. My favorite part was when the guy in the chicken suit started complaining.
It would be so fun to have such a TASTY TREAT. But I can't even hold a cone.
I also loved it as a moral. There are many, many, many, many picture books about building self-esteem and loving yourself for who you are. But this one is unique. Perhaps because it stars LEGO minifigures it comes across as super-fun and not super-preachy. It doesn't read like a dinky book. IT is just an--dare I say it--AWESOME story.

But this one does more than just celebrate individuality and build self-esteem. It also shows the importance of gratitude, kindness, and imagination.

I also like that it contrasts the generations of imaginative play. "Old" versus "new" or "plain" versus "fancy."

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: