Sunday, October 21, 2007

Keep the Nominations Coming...

Welcome to the 2007 Cybils, the only literary awards by bloggers. We're seeking nominations from book lovers in eight genres:

Fantasy/Science Fiction
Fiction Picture Books
Graphic Novels
Middle Grade Fiction
Non-Fiction: Middle Grade and Young Adult
Non-Fiction Picture Books
Poetry
Young Adult Fiction

Want to nominate your favorite books of the year? They must've been published in 2007:

  • Only one book per category;
  • Click on a category and read the description;
  • Click on "comments" and type in the author and title;
  • Make sure your book isn't already listed, please.

Nominations close Nov. 21, so take your time and come back often.Thanks for joining us!


So far, I've only nominated one book--in the category of science fiction/fantasy. The others, well, I'm waiting. Waiting for inspiration maybe. Waiting to see which of my favorites *needs* a special little nudge from me to make it onto the list. Waiting in general. For example, I have a few books that I want to read in the Middle/YA nonfiction group before I nominate a book. I would hate to nominate one, and then be blown away by the "wow-ness" of a book the next week. Which means I need to start prioritizing my reading, doesn't it?

And how do I begin to choose a favorite picture book? Really? There are SO SO SO SO many great ones out there. I think it's really awful that no one has nominated My Cat Copies Me by Yood D. Kwan. That book is so great. And Dadblamed Union Army Cow by Susan Fletcher is one-of-a-kind. After all, how many historical fiction picture books are there out there depicting this true heroic cow that earned a medal and everything during the war? Doesn't that deserve some recognition? And Jazz Baby. I love Jazz Baby. It is so perfectly perfect as far as having text that sings. (That one is by Lisa Wheeler.) And Natasha Wing's Go To Bed Monster. My three-year-old self is SO head over heels in love with that book. So how am I supposed to choose???

And middle grade fiction? Well, I've read so much...loved so much. Luckily, most of my favorites have already been mentioned. (I'm so happy Miss Spitfire is on the list. And Crooked Kind of Perfect. And Elijah of Buxton. And so many others.) I'll have to go through my piles and see what looks promising and give it a read. This needs to be a top priority!

Nonfiction picture books...well...I already have one or two I'm considering...but again I need to go through my piles and see what else I need to read. I think there are some great ones out there. I just need to revisit and pick my favorite.

Poetry--well, most of the poetry books I've looked at are already nominated. But I'll see what I can do. I'd love to pick something if I can :)

Young Adult. I need to look through what I've read and make lists. I'm sure I can think of something to add here. :)




No comments: