Saturday, May 08, 2010

Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (MG/YA)


Olympians: Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess. George O'Connor. 2010. April 2010. First Second. (Graphic Novel) 80 pages.

Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess is the second graphic novel in George O'Connor's Olympians series. And I think I liked this second one a bit better than the first. It is narrated by the Fates, and it tells a series of stories about Athena.

We learn about how Athena was born--and it isn't the usual way! We meet the two different Pallas she fought. We learn about her symbol the Aegis through a handful of stories. We also get the story of Perseus and Medusa! And the somewhat unfortunate story of Arachne.

I think these two books are a great way to introduce Greek mythology to new readers. And more titles are to come. The next in the series will be Hera and Hades.

Much is included in the back matter including fact sheets on Athena, Perseus, Medusa, and the Moirae. The Greek notes, of course, which are something that I got a lot of fun out of. Discussion Questions. Bibliography. And recommended reading.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

Yea know this normally isn't something I would read..But I might give it a try

Tif Sweeney said...

I think these look very interesting! I think I'm going to add these to my wish list!! Thanks!!

Charlotte said...

Hi Becky, are they middle grade? I dunno whether to link to them or not....

Charlotte said...

I see now (dunno why I missed it before) that you have them as mg/ya, so I shall put them in!!!

NatalieSap said...

Oh, I'm so jealous you have this already! I really liked Zeus' story and can't wait for more in the series. They will definitely draw the middle school crowd.