Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Conspiracy of Kings (YA)


A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner. 2010. March 2010. HarperCollins. 316 pages.

The king of Attolia was passing through his city, on his way to the port to greet ambassadors newly arrived from distant parts of the world.

The fourth book in the series. The first three are The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia. Sophos, our narrator, was first introduced in The Thief. He is the heir to the Sounis throne. Not much is seen of him after the first book, except for a few passing references that he's been kidnapped, that he's disappeared. In A Conspiracy of Kings, readers discover his story. How this young boy--a young man so unsure of himself--became king of a war-torn country.

Megan Whalen Turner is a great author. I haven't found these books to be formulaic or predictable. Each book in this series has been well-written and unique. None of the books have a similar feel. Though each is rich in detail, rich in atmosphere. I loved the world Turner has created! I like learning about these three countries--Sounis, Eddis, Attolia. I like learning about these rulers. I like seeing the strengths and weaknesses of each.

I did like this one. I don't know if I could pick a favorite from the series because they are all so different from one another.

Other reviews: Book Nut, The Written World, Booklust, A Chair, A Fireplace, & A Tea Cozy, Angieville, One Librarian's Book Reviews, Dear Author, Charlotte's Library.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Liviania said...

I love that Turner changes it up each book - it's so much fun!