Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Diary of Pelly D (YA)


Diary of Pelly D. by L.J. Adlington. 2005. HarperCollins. 288 pages.

When the dust settled, Toni V took his goggles off for a moment and rubbed his eyes. It was only mid-morning and already the heat was fierce. The Demolition Crew in the plaza had stripped down to vests and shorts, with shirts twisted around their waists. They had regular water stops. This wasn't one of them.

I really enjoyed this one. I am so glad I didn't judge this book by its cover. (Because I am not a fan of all the orange and green.)

Toni V, our narrator, is on the demolition crew when he makes a discovery. Instead of turning over this find, like he is required to do--he hides it away. What does he find? A diary. Soon he begins spending his spare time reading a diary of a girl he's never met. A girl who in so many ways is so different from any one Toni has ever known. She's wealthy. She's popular. She has it all. Or so it seems. But that was before the war. Before this obsession with gene tags and pure heritages.

I definitely would recommend this one. I found it be very compelling. And the society Adlington created was so well done. One of the things I liked best about this one was that I had no idea what to expect. I hadn't read much about this one. And I liked that process of discovery. So I don't want to tell you too much either.

Other reviews: Reading Rants, Books and Movies, The Spotted Mushroom, The Secret Adventures of WriterGirl.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

I don't like that cover either, but I'm glad to hear that the book was good! I'll be looking out for it.