Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sunday Salon: Reading Magic for Marigold (1929)

Magic for Marigold. L.M. Montgomery. 1929. 274 pages.
Once upon a time--which, when you come to think of it, is really the only proper way to begin a story--the only way that really smacks of romance and fairyland--all the Harmony members of the Lesley clan had assembled at Cloud of Spruce to celebrate Old Grandmother's birthday as usual. Also to name Lorraine's baby. It was a crying shame, as Aunt Nina pathetically said, that the little darling had been in the world four whole months without a name. But what could you do, with poor dear Leander dying in that terribly sudden way just two weeks before his daughter was born and poor Lorraine being so desperately ill for weeks and weeks afterwards? Not very strong yet, for that matter. And there was tuberculosis in her family, you know.
I found Magic for Marigold completely charming! I loved the heroine, a young, imaginative girl named Marigold. Our heroine is much younger than previous heroines created by L.M. Montgomery. The focus is on her childhood years, those magical years between six and twelve. I found this to be such a refreshing change! Marigold lives with her mother, her grandmother, and her great-grandmother. When she's not at home or playing in the fields and gardens nearby, she can sometimes be found visiting relations on both sides of her family. While her first visit away from home did not go so well, Marigold comes to love visiting, for the most part. She doesn't always love when young cousins come to visit her, however. Especially when they lead her into TROUBLE. The book shares her adventures and misadventures in friendship! Marigold has a few lessons to learn about friendship, about family, about her own emotions, about life itself! And I loved reading about them!

Have you read Magic for Marigold? What did you think?

Favorite quotes:
Lucifer was Old Grandmother's favourite. A remote, subtle cat. An inscrutable cat so full of mystery that it fairly oozed out of him. 
Marigold looked rather scornfully at Grandmother. Didn't Grandmother understand that when you went through The Magic Door you stepped straight into fairyland, where there was no such thing as time? 
Gwen suddenly discovered that it was not such an easy thing to invent a prayer. "Dear God," she said slowly, "please--please--oh, please never let me have moles like Tabby Derusha's. And never mind about the daily bread--I'm sure to have lots of that--but please give me lots of pudding and cake and jam. And please bless all the folks who deserve it." 
Mrs. Lawrence was very proud of her resemblance to Queen Victoria and dressed up to it. She had three chins, a bosom like a sheep and a harmless, if irritating, habit of shedding hairpins wherever she went. Her favourite adjective was "Christian," and she had a very decided dislike to being reminded that she was either fat or old. She constantly wore a brooch with Clementine's hair in it and when she talked of her daughter--as she did very often--she snuffled. In spite of this, Mrs. Lawrence had many good qualities and was a decent old soul enough, as Uncle Klon said.

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

I haven't read this one, but one of my all time favorite Montgomery books is A Tangled Web, which deals with two very eccentric families. I will definitely be on the lookout for this one, because it sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Becky said...

Kate,

Tangled Web is one of my favorite Montgomery books too!

Becky

Ruby // Rustled Pages said...

This book sounds so sweet, and the protagonist seems so endearing! My sister loved A Tangled Web, and so I think I may read that whilst I hunt down this one in my local library! Great review! :D

Becky said...

Ruby, I hope you enjoy both books! I'll be reviewing A Tangled Web in a week or two. I'm actually reading or rereading L.M. Montgomery chronologically this year!

Shelley said...

I have not even heard of this one! Someday I would like to read all of hers.