Thursday, March 30, 2017

Wet Cement

Wet Cement. Bob Raczka. 2016. 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I like to think of poems as word paintings. A poet uses words like colors to paint pictures inside your head. In concrete poems, or shape poems, the words also paint pictures on the page.

Premise/plot: Wet Cement is a collection of concrete poems by Bob Raczka. In the author's own words, "In the title of each poem, I've created pictures with letters. In the poems themselves, I've created pictures with words."

My thoughts: I wasn't expecting to love this one. Poetry tends to be hit or miss with me. I either really make a connection, or NOT. I really LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this one. I think my favorite poem is "Dominoes." Both the title and the text of the poem paint the picture of dominoes falling. It's a fun and effective image.
Just one push
here we go
follow through
feel the flow
brace yourself
stay in line
steady now
doing fine
forward march
don't look back
can't stop now
still on track
coming down
single file
do your part
join the pile
tag you're it
falling fast
pass it on
what a blast!
looking good
almost there
stay on course
don't be scared
hang on tight
rock 'n' roll
what are we?
Dominoes!

Other poems I enjoyed: "Orbiting," "Corners," "Word Cross," and the opening poem, "Take-off."



This is a poetry book I'm excited to recommend!


© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: