Monday, August 09, 2010

Shiver (YA)


Shiver. Maggie Stiefvater. 2009. Scholastic. 400 pages.

I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves. They were licking me, biting me, worrying at my body, pressing in. Their huddled bodies blocked what little heat the sun offered.

Our heroine, Grace, survived a wolf attack as a child. You might think that would make her fearful of wolves. But just the opposite is true. Grace borders on the obsessive. With one wolf in particular. Each winter she watches and waits. She seeks him out from the pack. Little does she know that he is always watching and waiting for her. His name is Sam. And he is a werewolf.

After a local tragedy, the community decides to do something about the wolf problem. Grace is angry--and determined. She wants to save the wolves. She wants to save "her" wolf. He is shot but not fatally. When he's shot--or perhaps soon after he's shot--he shifts to human form. And Grace has a chance to connect--really connect--with "her" wolf.

Grace isn't the only one in the community to learn the secret--that werewolves are real. Does Grace's romance stand a chance against the bitter cold of winter?

I didn't love Shiver. I'm not even sure I liked Shiver. It was okay. But I certainly didn't find it romantic or giddy-making.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Eden the StorySnoop said...

Hi Becky--I didn't love this one either, but am reading Linger now (or actually listening on CD) and the love story is much better developed than in Shiver, in my opinion :-)

Unknown said...

I have this one, but I still haven't read it. I keep meaning to, especially now that the sequel's out...hopefully I'll have better luck with it.

Rmaah said...

Great review!! I love this book! please follow my new blog at someinkandpaper.blogspot.com :) thanks :)

Anonymous said...

i LOVE it