Monday, August 16, 2010

Crunch (MG)


Crunch. Leslie Connor. 2010. HarperCollins. 336 pages.

I saw it like this: A single worker at some faraway oil refinery with his head tilted down, peering into a pipe, waiting for one more drop that never came. Doesn't mean it was really like that. It probably wasn't. But that's what I saw in my mind's eye the night our parents called to say that their trip had been extended. Indefinitely.

When an energy crisis leaves five children parentless--for the duration of the emergency--Dewey and his brothers and sisters must learn how to take care of themselves and their family's business. Dewey and his brother, Vince, are managing the Bike Barn, a repair shop that is thriving with the energy crisis. Without oil or gas, people are having to resort to walking or biking. Highways are being transformed into strangely human lanes of travelers. The sight of it shocks Dewey at first. It is on one of his bike rides that he meets a stranger, Robert, who quickly becomes a family friend.

In some ways, this crisis shows a community coming together. There are many who go out of their way to be kind and helpful. And in other ways, it shows just how desperate some within the community are. How difficult times can lead to desperate actions--crimes.

Crunch is about crisis--of a nation, of a community, of a family. I enjoyed this book.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Becky - not to come off all panicky, but - are you getting my mails? I thought I'd leave a comment here as well, just in case you aren't - or I'm not getting yours. Either way. L.

kitchen table said...

The cover is nice. It will attract lots of readers. This review is great. I know that this book is going to be a hit.

Grace said...

Great book review! I read that book and loved it. It was cool how all of the kids did whatever they could to help. For example, Dewey's mind was always on the Bike Barn, what to do with it, and how to make it better. For more childrens book reviews like this, please visit my blog at: graciesbookreviews.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Grace 11yrs old