Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Blackmoore (2013)

Blackmoore Julianne Donaldson. 2013. Shadow Mountain (Proper Romance). 282 pages. [Source: Review Copy]

I absolutely LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this Regency Romance novel by Julianne Donaldson. I admit it wasn't immediate love. It took me a few chapters to settle into the story, get acquainted with the author's style, her use of flashbacks, and the building of the mystery, but soon it was LOVE. Blackmoore stars an independent heroine, Kate Worthington. (Don't dare call her Kitty!) Kate is sure of one thing: she will NEVER marry. It doesn't matter what her mother says, what she threatens. She will never marry. But just because she's firm and determined on this matter doesn't mean that her dreams of traveling to India with her aunt are certain. Kate isn't sure how she can break completely free from her family and follow her dreams. Her acceptance of her mother's challenge is completely impulsive. Her mother will allow her daughter freedom--the freedom to go to India--IF she receives and rejects three marriage proposals during her country visit to Blackmoore, the estate of a good friend. At first all Kate seems to hear is India. It is only later that she realizes that she must act in such a way that three men will propose to her in just a few weeks. How is she going to accomplish that?! But Kate loves a challenge, and she is clever.

The main reason I loved this romance novel is the hero, Henry. I adored him. I adored them together I should say. Every single scene with the two of them worked. Most were completely giddy-making in fact. The dialogue was wonderful! The storytelling was just what I needed. This was a purely satisfying historical romance. I can't think of a single thing I'd change!!! I think this is one I'll definitely want to reread again and again!!!

The author has also written Edenbrooke. I definitely want to read that one soon!

Blackmoore is on tour this September. Other bloggers reviewing it today, September 18th:

Raising Memories – REVIEW
Writing, the Universe and Everything Books – REVIEW
Reading Girls – REVIEW
Becky’s Book Reviews – REVIEW
So Many PreciousS Books, So Little Time – FEATURE / GIVEAWAY
Tressa’s Wishful Endings – REVIEW
About To Read – REVIEW

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Suey said...

I adored Henry too. What a nice boy!