Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sunday Salon: Reading All-of-a-Kind-Family (1951)

All-of-a-Kind-Family. Sydney Taylor. 1951. 190 pages. [Source: Bought]

I enjoyed rereading All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor. This historical fiction novel is set in New York City around 1912. When the novel opens, there are five sisters: Ella, Henrietta (Henny), Sarah, Charlotte, and Gertie. They are a "steps-and-stairs" family according to the oh-so-friendly librarian Miss Allen. (Yes, the librarian plays a good role in this one!) The chapters are episodic, occurring over the course of a year. The chapters detail what life was like in a Jewish household during the early years of the new century. Some chapters are about everyday things like shopping, cleaning, going to the library, eating in bed, picky-eating at the table, etc. Other chapters are about holidays or vacations: Purim, Passover, 4th of July, visiting Coney Island, etc. My least favorite chapter remains the same: the hiding of buttons to motivate the sisters into cleaning.

I liked this one. I like it because it is old-fashioned and simple and just good. I like it because it captures a special time and place in American history.

Have you read this one? What did you think?

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Tina's Blog said...

I read this one when I was growing up, and read it to my oldest two daughters. Seeing your review reminds me I need to read it to my youngest...it is a great book.

Alex said...

I definitely need to reread this book. Thanks for your review reminding me.

hopeinbrazil said...

I remember this series with great affection. I discovered it as an adult when I read it to my kids.