Saturday, January 21, 2017

Thunder Boy Jr.

Thunder Boy Jr. Sherman Alexie. Illustrated by Yuyi Morales. 2016. Little, Brown. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Hello, my name is Thunder Boy. Thunder Boy Smith. That's my real name.

Premise/plot: Thunder Boy does not like his name. He doesn't like that it's not a good, normal name. He doesn't like sharing the exact same name as his father. He wants his own name. A name that he can pick himself. A name that suits him and no one else. Will he ever get a new name?

My thoughts: I really enjoyed the text of this one. I think it works very well. It is both emotional and funny. (Hard to be both, in my opinion!) I didn't love, love, love the illustrations, however. (Illustrations are so very, very subjective. Even more subjective, in my opinion, than the text ever is.)

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 2 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: