Monday, January 02, 2017

Mother Bruce

Mother Bruce. Ryan T. Higgins. 2015. Disney-Hyperion. 44 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Bruce was a bear who lived all by himself. He was a grump.

Premise/plot: Bruce WAS a grump, but, by the end of the story will he still be a grump?! In Ryan T. Higgins' Mother Bruce, Bruce finds himself unexpectedly a MOTHER. It all starts when he gathers eggs from Mrs. Goose's nest. He wanted HARD-BOILED eggs, but, what he gets are hatched goslings all calling him MAMA! What is he to do?! Will the raising of these geese make him a better bear?!

My thoughts: This one was cute and clever and FUNNY. I really enjoyed it. I think what I loved most of all were the illustrations of Bruce. He's my kind of bear honestly. The illustrations really MAKE the story. They add a lot of the humor. For example, when Bruce is trying to explain migration--heading south for the winter--and the geese are just not getting it! (The geese all flying in tiny airplanes just made me grin!)

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: