Saturday, June 30, 2018

June Reflections

How many books have I read so far for the year? 294

How many board books or picture books have I read? 117

My favorite I read this month was:

Bubba and Beau, Best Friends. Kathi Appelt. Illustrated by Arthur Howard. 2002. Harcourt. 32 pages. [Source: Bought]

How many early readers or early chapter books have I read? 53

My favorite I read this month was:
Surprise Stories. Marjorie Hardy.  Illustrated by Lucille Enders and Matilda Breuer.  1926/1929. Wheeler Publishing Company. 124 pages. [Source: Bought] 

How many contemporary books have I read? 22

My favorite I read this month was:
Between the Lines. Nikki Grimes. 2018. 216 pages. [Source: Library]
 
How many speculative fiction books have I read? 18

My favorite I read this month was:
The Traitor's Game. Jennifer A. Nielsen. 2018. Scholastic. 388 pages. [Source: Library]

How many classics have I read? 28

My favorite I read this month was?
Little Women. Louisa May Alcott. 1868. 566 pages. [Source: Bought]

How many historical fiction novels have I read? 29

My favorite I read this month was?
My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Hamilton. Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie. 2018. 672 pages. [Source: Library]

How many mysteries? 20

My favorite I read this month was?
Vintage Murder. Ngaio Marsh. 1937. 256 pages. [Source: Bought] 

How many nonfiction? 33

My favorite I read this month was? 
Library on Wheels: Mary Lemist Titcomb and America's First Bookmobile. 2018. Sharlee Glenn. Abrams. 56 pages. [Source: Review copy]

How many Christian fiction? 15

My favorite I read this month was? 
Maggie's Dare: The Great Awakening (Sisters in Time #3). Norma Jean Lutz. 2005. Barbour. 144 pages. [Source: Review copy]

How many Christian nonfiction? 46

My favorite I read this month was?
Expository Exultation: Christian Preaching as Worship. John Piper. 2018. Crossway. 336 pages. [Source: Review copy] 
How many "new" books for the Good Rule challenge? 175
How many "old" books for the Good Rule challenge? 119
How many pages have I read so far for the year? 44,437

Favorite short story or fairy tale of the month: The Forty Thieves
Favorite audio book of the month:

Cyrano de Bergerac. Edmond Rostand. 1897. Translated by Anthony Burgess. Adapted for BBC 3 Radio Drama. Directed by David Timson. Starring Kenneth Branaugh as Cyrano, Jodhi May as Roxane, Tom Hiddleston as Christian. Two hours and fifteen minutes.

Favorite Victorian quote:
Gentlemen, which means boys, be courteous to the old maids, no matter how poor and plain and prim, for the only chivalry worth having is that which is the readiest to pay deference to the old, protect the feeble, and serve womankind, regardless of rank, age, or color. Just recollect the good aunts who have not only lectured and fussed, but nursed and petted, too often without thanks, the scrapes they have helped you out of, the tips they have given you from their small store, the stitches the patient old fingers have set for you, the steps the willing old feet have taken, and gratefully pay the dear old ladies the little attentions that women love to receive as long as they live. ~ Louisa May Alcott

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

fredamans said...

Happy July!