Tuesday, January 17, 2023

11. Camp Creepy


Camp Creepy. (Sinister Summer Series #3) Kiersten White. 2023 [January] 288 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: When Alexander emerged from the lake, not at all upset about how many microbes and bacteria and brain-eating amoeba he might have let in through his nose and mouth, he grabbed a tie-dyed shirt. That was another weird thing. Not only was he not wearing swim-goggles--he usually refused to put his head underwater without swim goggles--but also Alexander never swam without a shirt. He was too worried about sunburns and skin cancer. He used the shirt to wipe off his face before dropping it on the ground instead of folding it and setting it carefully on a rock so it wouldn't get dirty.

Premise/plot: Theo, Alexander, and Wil are back for their third adventure. Their parents are still missing. Their aunt has dropped them off at summer camp--well close to summer camp--before vanishing quickly and mysteriously. They've had two misadventures this summer already. They are prepared (as much as they can be) to face danger, danger, and more danger. But this summer camp isn't what they expected it to be at all. In some ways it's passive-passive-passive-passive-aggressive approach is even more dangerous. 

Can Theo, Alexander, Wil (and Edgar and Quincy) survive summer camp?

My thoughts: I really enjoyed the first book in the series. The second book in the series was a little more slippery. I found it confusing in places. I maintained a grasp on the plot and characters, but my comprehension was not 100%. Picking up the third one, well, I'm not sure I had everything I needed to fully understand/grasp/comprehend. It's like when you miss a few scenes from a movie because you took a much-needed bathroom break.

But I did like it more than the second book. I really do have a fondness for these characters--especially Alexander and Theo.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: