Wednesday, January 11, 2023

8. Voices (Babylon 5 #1)


Babylon #5: Voices. John Vornholt. 1995. 246 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: "Welcome to Mars," said the sultry, automated voice. 

Premise/plot: When Talia Winters (Babylon 5's resident telepath) is accused of being a terrorist and bombing a telepath convention being held on the station, it may be up to Michael Garibaldi and Harriman Gray (an unlikely duo to say the best) to track down the real person(s) responsible, clear Talia's name, and restore her reputation. 

Most of the action of this science-fiction novel occurs off the Babylon 5 station. It definitely has plenty of Mr. Bester in it. Though plenty of other telepaths (Psi Corps) enter into the story. 

My thoughts: This was my first time to read Voices. I've read a handful of other Babylon 5 novels (at least three, maybe four). Talia Winters has never been my favorite-or-best character on the show. Either I've mellowed out in my most recent binge-watch, or this novel has helped me like her more.  

The pacing of this one was solid. I definitely wanted to keep reading to figure out just how her name was cleared. I never doubted for a minute that it would be. I knew that no matter the dangers Garibaldi and Winters faced somehow, someway these two would make it back to the Babylon 5 station intact. But there is more than one reason--suspense--to read a novel.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: